Himmelfarb Headlines - November / December 2017

Faculty Profile - Interview with Doug Evans, Professor, Prevention and Community Health

Doug Evans, Professor, Prevention and Community HealthMeet Doug Evans who is a Professor of Prevention and Community Health, and of Global Health and Director of the Public Health Communication and Marketing Program of GW Milken Institute School of Public Health. His research and publication focus is social marketing and behavior change interventions, mobile health as well as the use of branding strategies in public health.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, your hometown and why you decided to pursue public health?
I'm married and father of 2 teenage daughters, which definitely keeps me busy! I enjoy cycling and hiking for exercise. My wife and I are both beach lovers. I also enjoy traveling and reading for pleasure, and am an avid baseball fan.

What brought you to GW?
I worked in not-for-profit private research institutes prior to joining GW. When the School of Public Health founded a graduate program in health communication and marketing, which is my area of expertise, I was fortunate enough to be recruited to come here.

What has been your biggest professional challenge?
Securing competitive sponsored research funding is always a challenge. Another one has been building awareness and interest in the use of marketing strategies to change behavior. It's intuitive to me, but a lot of people in public health think marketing is a dirty word. One of my biggest challenges is to try to change that thinking.

What has been your most memorable moment at GW?
Being tenured!

What library resources or services have you found to be the most useful?
Gisela Butera is absolutely wonderful! Being able to access the kind of professional help she provides to conduct systematic literature searches to support my research is truly invaluable.

Whom do you admire?
Barack Obama and my mother.

How do you spend your free time? (or What do you do to relax?)
Cycling, reading, hanging out on the beach, traveling.

What advice would you give to a new faculty member just starting at GW?
Try to meet a lot of other faculty and establish mutual collaborations.

Stay Connected: