Access to Himmelfarb
Himmelfarb Library serves the following schools at GW:
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS)
- Milken Institute School of Public Health (GWSPH)
- School of Nursing (SON)
The Himmelfarb Library is open to patrons that have been approved to be on campus during phase 1 of reopening including GW residents and students currently enrolled in on-site classes or on clinical rotations.
Medical students in the virtual track are governed by the SMHS policy below:
As you know, the University has placed restrictive guidelines regarding the number of students allowed on campus, limiting access to students who are taking in-person classes. After discussions with the University, the Himmelfarb Library/SMHS administrators were able to make some revisions to the policy for our first and second-year MD students in the virtual track. Please see the updated policy below.
- Students in the virtual track will be granted access to Himmelfarb Library for 4 hours each day. To enter the Library, you will need to check in at the Ross Hall Security Desk. The staff at the Himmelfarb Desk will then let you through the Himmelfarb security gate. You will be asked to sign in and out. Students are expected to adhere to the daily time limit in order to keep their library access privileges.
- Library staff will need to reserve the right to limit access to the Library if the building reaches capacity. In that case, new patrons will be permitted access as space opens up. Please do not congregate in the lobby entrance way as you await access. Call 202-994-2962 to check on available capacity (eventually you will be able to check availability on the website).
- All first and second year students (in the virtual and hybrid tracks) will be able to request permission to take high-stakes exams in the library by sending requests to Aubrey Silverman at email@example.com at least 7 business days prior to their scheduled exam.
We hope you stay safe!
Affiliates must have a current GWorld card in order to pass through our security gate.
Other GW affiliates and the public do not have onsite access to the library. Online access is available to all current GW affiliates.
For questions about onsite access, contact: Catherine Sluder, Access Coordinator, at 202-994-9453 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions concerning access to electronic resources at Himmelfarb, please contact Laura Abate, Associate Director for Library Operations, at 202-994-8570 or email@example.com.