Himmelfarb Headlines - February / March 2022

Staff Spotlight - Introducing Leland (Ash) LanquistStaff Spotlight - Introducing Leland (Ash) Lanquist, Evening/Weekend Supervisor

Learn more about Himmelfarb Library staff members. In this issue, we learn more about Leland Ashford Lanquist, Evening/Weekend Supervisor.

Where are you from originally, and what brought you to the DC area?
I'm originally from Tennessee, but I moved to Chicago for undergrad and then to Seattle for my Library Science studies. I came to DC for this job, actually. I like the east coast! The time zone is closer to family, it is a lot less rainy, and there is no "spider season" here!

Tell us a little about your position and what you do?
I'm the evening and weekend circulation specialist, and I am "on deck" in the evenings, from Sunday-Thursday. I schedule student workers, work at the circulation desk, sort the library's mail, and support the library staff here at Himmelfarb. I also am working on the library's MakerSpace, which currently includes our 3D printing hub, hopefully there will be more services soon!

What made you want to work at Himmelfarb Library?
Himmelfarb stood out to me because I felt like I could see a future for myself here.

As a new staff member, what do you enjoy most about working at Himmelfarb so far?
I appreciate that there is a decent amount of flexibility with what I am allowed to do, I really enjoy my MakerSpace  projects and doing other specialized projects with the Himmelfarb team.

What’s been the biggest challenge?
Scheduling meetings! My hours are later, but if I want to participate in more projects, I need to meet with people and there are only about 8 hours during the week that I can schedule time with my peers.

What do you like to do in your time away from work?
I love to play games & spend time with friends, virtually or in person. I also enjoy watching streamers (Twitch, YouTube) and knitting!

Stay Connected: